Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

How is HIV transmitted?

Jan 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 7387 Questions
Hi-I had sex with a man and his ejaculate got on my hand where I had some cuts that where a couple of days old. Am I at risk for HIV? I don't know if he was HIV or not and I washed immediately with soap and water.
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are safe

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it

HIV should have direct access to the blood stream, through an open wound. An open wound is a cut which is freshly made and freshly actively bleeding. This does not mean an old healed paper cut for example. It does have to be fresh and open and bleeding for the virus to gain access into the blood stream.

Even for cuts, once a scab forms (usually within a few hours), this would no longer give access to the bloodstream, preventing HIV from entering.

Therefore you have nothing to worry about since your cuts were almost 2 days old and could not have provided direct access to the blood

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor