How is HIV transmitted?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi-I had sex with a man and his ejaculate got on my hand where I had some cuts that where a couple of days old. Am I at risk for HIV? I don't know if he was HIV or not and I washed immediately with soap and water.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are safe

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it

HIV should have direct access to the blood stream, through an open wound. An open wound is a cut which is freshly made and freshly actively bleeding. This does not mean an old healed paper cut for example. It does have to be fresh and open and bleeding for the virus to gain access into the blood stream.

Even for cuts, once a scab forms (usually within a few hours), this would no longer give access to the bloodstream, preventing HIV from entering.

Therefore you have nothing to worry about since your cuts were almost 2 days old and could not have provided direct access to the blood