question-icon

How effective is Gynaecosid and what are the side effects?

Posted on Tue, 21 Oct 2014
Question: hi doc,
i had unprotected sex 4days ago, and i dont want to get pregnant. i was advised the usual morning after pill wouldn't be effected since it's past 72hrs. my bf got me gynaecosid. will it work? are there side effects?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal (57 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You should not take this drug.

Detailed Answer:

No, I will not recommend this drug. Since it's past 72 hours already no medicine is 100% effective in preventing pregnancy. Further the use of this tablet can be dangerous if you are pregnant already and can cause hormonal imbalance, irregular menses and heavy bleeding. This drug is only used for withdrawal bleeding when your pregnancy test is negative.

I suggest you to wait and watch for your menses. If pregnancy test results comes positive, then you can consult a gynecologist for medical abortion of pregnancy.

Hope I am clear. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Good luck.
Dr.Richa
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN