Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

How do I reduce the cylindrical power of a child? Exercises recommended?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1977
Answered : 1162 Questions
How do I reduce the cylindrical power for my daughter who is just 6 years ,what exercises do it make her ,plz doctor let me know as soon as possible her powers 1.75 in both eyes .
Do I need to give her any particular intake I mean in food so that it may help us in someway , I am little particular of she not wearing spects as I am suffering from the same since my childhood , even I have cylindrical and sp power both , so plz doctor give ur best advice will b really greatful to u
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 7 hours later

The refractive power of your daughter's eye is not due to any deficiency in diet. These powers are due to genetic structure of the eye ball. The progression of power is related to the growth of the eye ball, how is it stretched and over all body growth. This growth continues till your daughter is about 18 years of age, when the power does not progress further. This power does not reduce under normal situations.

Diet in these situations has only a supportive role. A good diet is always helpful, but does not reduce the power. Iron, Vitamin C and E, Leutin etc are known to improve eye health but not well respected evidence exists.

Since she has inherited her power from you there is no way we can get rid of this power by diet or medication.

Later on when her power is stabilized (after 18 yrs of age) she can have contact lens or LASIK laser to get rid of the power.

I case of further doubts please do get back to me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How do I reduce the cylindrical power of a child? Exercises recommended? 24 hours later
Respected doctor
Thanks a lot for ur advice ,please tell me do my daughter need to wear spects regularlly , or she can continue without glasses, as according to her she can see everything clearly and she never complained for any problem ever before,
I have heard there are treatments in Pondicherry for eyes, I.e some exercises through which the power may reduce , so please let me know if there is any ,will start it immediately .
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 22 hours later
Thanks for getting back to us.
You do not have to force glasses on your daughter. Get her glasses and basically leave it to her,as at times these children are comfortable without glasses for reading. Consistently using glasses does not prevent progression of power.
Leave it her when she wants to use glasses. You have to get yearly checkups done for her.
I have never seen power regressing by any treatment. Alternative treatment raises your expectation, wastes a lot of money and effort and gives nothing in return
For any problem, please do get back to us.
Hope this helps. I will be available for follow ups.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor