Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

How can the bruised sternum and GERD be treated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 157 Questions
I was diagnosed with a bruised sternum in an auto accident 8 or 9 days ago. The pain is terrible. I have a cold and just to breathe thru my nose just exacerbates it. I have GERD and just taking 500mg of Tylenol (2 of them 2-3 times a day). I was given a prescription for Vicodin but afraid to take it as I have read about addictions to it. Am I worried for nothing? How long will it be before I get better. I went to an exercise class and Zumba lesson and that may be how I got worse. Help, please ... I am 66 years old
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 45 minutes later
Hi ,

Thanks for your query.

Since the chest movements during breathing causes movement in the Sternum producing bone pain. As you are suffering with GERD, Tylenol is not considered to be a suitable drug.

It would be better to start Vicodin as prescribed by your doctor, and do not worry about the risk of addiction as the probability is low in short duration courses. It might take around 2-3 weeks to get better.

Avoid exercise and zumba classes as the exercises increases the respiratory rate, which will lead to faster breathing and interfere in healing of the injury. You need to take rest till your cold is completely relieved.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor