• question-icon

How can severe vomiting, diarrhea and weakness be treated?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My sister has been experiencing vomiting and diarrhea for the past three weeks. She was treated in the emergency room with an IV and sent home. That was a week ago and she is still sick. I suggested she see her gastro doctor but she doesn't have the energy to get dressed.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Severe electrolyte disturbance.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting query on this forum.
Have gone through your query in detail and i appreciate your concern.

Your sister had history of vomiting and loose motions for 3 weeks.In lay mans language this problem is called Gastroenteritis.
A large amount of water and electrolyes are lost from body with each loose stool and vomit.
Though gastroenteritis may dissipate within several days without need for medical treatment, long-term or recurrent symptoms can cause nutrient deficiencies, dehydration and unintentional weight loss.
She has been treated in hospital with i.v therapy which means that she was severly dehydrated with gross disturbances in electrolytes of body.

Now the body will take some time to replete its energy levels again back to normal.
It will take almost 2 weeks for her complete recovery.
Extreme fatigue is suggestive of electrolyte problems.
Go to the nearest pharmacy get a crate of electrolyte solution and ask het to take it as much as she can.
The more electrolyte and water she would take the faster would she regain her energy back.
Give her 200ml of electral every 2 hours.
Ask her to drink atleast 8 glasses of water daily.

Does she have vomiting or lose stools still or just severe fatigue is her major problem right now?
Please answer.
Waiting.
Regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist