• question-icon

How can drug abuse and emotional turmoil leading to depressive disorder after losing a loved one be treated?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jun 2019 in Mental Health
Question: Dr XXXXXXX I am suffering from depression and anxiety since 2003 due to suicidal death of my only elder brother when I was 22 yrs and combined business with my fathers younger brother who disturb me lot!I am suffering from severe depression and took 20 alprax 0.5 and some day klonopin 0.5 mg from 2010 till now!From 2003 to 2010 I don't took a single medicine.My Chacha ji done fraud in minutes book of group of colleges which we r running plus 80 bedded ultra modern multispeciality hospital!Between 2013 till now I was admitted in XXXXXXX three times for detoxification.When I don't take benzodiazepines my interaction with public are almost gone,irritability,body movements next to none!I had been given medicines venlafaxine,desvenlafaxine,ciplar,lamitrogine,arpirazole,oleptal,carbazapine,clonidine,paxidep,escitalopram,citadep,quetiapine in different intervals in combination.I was doing BDS till 2004 and left BDS in 3rd year!So pl tell medicine to do normal routine work actively
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Benzodiazepines abuse should be dealt with properly.

Detailed Answer:

The suicide of your elder brother caused significant emotional turmoil and this resulted in precipitation of depressive disorder. Suicide of a close family member is a significant risk factor for the development of depression. You have constant stress due to your uncle who disturbs you a lot. All these things are aggravating the depression. Probably, due to depression, you started abusing Benzodiazepines and this resulted in further deterioration of depression and ultimately resulted in worsening of the situation.

If we consider the treatment strategy then the first thing that should be focused upon is benzodiazepine abuse (Alprazolam or Clonazepam). This should be taken care of along with depressive symptoms. You have been to detox programs too but relapsed. The best thing that should be done in benzodiazepine abuse is to gradually reduce the dose of drugs over 6-12 weeks.

Considering your current use, you are taking 20 Alprazolam that is around 10 mg per day. The doses can be reduced every two weeks by 1-2 mg and at around 6-12 weeks the drug can be stopped completely. To strengthen then therapy Gabapentin or Pregabalin can be used. Both these drugs helps to ease withdrawal of benzodiazepines and will also help to reduce the depressive symptoms. Along with this antidepressants especially like Venlafaxine or Duloxetine can be added. Apart from controlling depression these will help in reducing the pain too.

Low dose antipsychotics like Quetiapine or Olanzapine can be added to the prescription. The medicines will help in sleep too and will also help in supplementing depressive symptoms.

Please talk with a psychiatrist and start taking these drugs. Don't feel bad about yourself, you are young and you have to beat this depression.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thanks and take care.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Psychiatrist
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist