How can constant cold and cough in a child be treated?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my son is 10. He has had a cold and cough for about 7 days... I’ve been giving him dimetapp cold and cough. Is there anything else I can do? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I need more information - please revert back with answers

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic. Greetings from XXXXXXX

By what you quote I feel what your kid could be having viral bronchitis or wheeze or a simple upper respiratory infection. I have a few questions for you -
Questions:

1. Is this cough a recurrent problem or only now..if it's recurring...How many days per month does your kid cough or feel breathless?
2. How many nights per month does your kid's sleep get disturbed due to above symptoms?
3. Does your kid feel breathless when running around or playing with other kids?
4. Are the symptoms when there are seasonal changes?
5. Is there any family history of asthma or any other sort of allergies like skin allergy etc.?
6. Is the cough always associated with fever?

Please revert back the answers so that I can help you better.

In your reply please do mention the weight of the child, so that, I can suggest you a proper medication.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 13 minutes later
Hi

1. Only now. Not recurring.
2. None
3. No.
4. Yes
5. No.
6. No.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like seasonal allergic bronchitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... thank you for the response. Now it is clear to me that this is only a seasonal allergic bronchitis. By what you say and also keeping in mind the duration of the cough, I feel that your child has got a seasonal allergic bronchitis and he might have some wheezing also.

I suggest that he will require a bronchodialator and also some cough suppressant anti allergic medication like Benadryl cough formula.

Both these medications are prescription medications. If Benadryl is an over the counter medication in your country, you can administer this at the dose of 5 ml thrice a day and approach your pediatrician or physician for a prescription of bronchodilator.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth