• question-icon

How can cold and cough in a child be treated?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is 2 years 9 months old. She was having cold and cough since last 4 days. Doctor had prescribed Ambrodil S and T Minic Syrup in an earlier similar episode which I administered and the runny nose had stopped. But since yesterday she has a slightly hoarse voice and blocked nostrils. Do I need to change the medicine? I have Kufril LS and Tuspel syrup at home. Please advise what medication can be given to her.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue Ambrodil S plus syrup

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query. Ambrodil s plus syrup contains levosalbutamol a bronchodilator(helps in relieving the airway spasm) and mucolytic(sputum thinning agent) Ambroxol.
It works very well for cough. Similarly Tminic contains anti allergic and decongestant(helps in relieving nasal blockade).
I would suggest you to continue the same that is Ambrodil s plus and Tminic in the prescribed dosage(the dose may need to be increased if her weight has increased significantly in comparison to previous visit). Kufril LS and Tuspel also contains bronchodilator and mucolytic and there is no significant difference from Ambrodil s. Tminic will take care of nose blockade.
The most common cause of cough/cold in this age is some viral infection or allergy. This usually improves with symptomatic treatment and there is no need of antibiotic like in bacterial infection.
But if condition worsens or persists longer, if there is associated fever or difficulty in feeding then please consult your pediatrician for clinical evaluation and also to rule out the possibility of bacterial infection if any.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Wishing for your child's speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology