How can coccyx pain after injury be treated?

Posted on Fri, 8 Sep 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fell and I think i bruised my tailbone. I know I didn't break it. I broke it 30 years ago in child birth and this of course isn't nearly as painful although I need to take something for pain and me walk better. thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Traumatic coccydynia. Take treatment as below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
This condition is called traumatic coccydynia.
I suggest pain killers, muscle relaxants, sitz bath( to sit in a tub of hot water) , Local application of analgesic cream. Most important is spinal extension exercises. Do it for about 2 weeks and if there is no relief then contact a orthopedic surgeon for local steroid injection.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon