How can a wound on the side of the toe be treated?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: HI, my sister has something bad wrong with her big toe.

May I show you a pic of her toe?
Answered by Dr. Eni 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Onychomycosis, tauma and wound.

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
The toe seems in a very bad condition.
First of all, there seems to be a wound on the side of the toe. If it ingrown toenail, then it needs to be treated by a surgeon in the near future. You can keep cleaning it, and in the meantime you shouldn't wear any shoes or tight footwear.
The biggest problem to me seems to be the fungus infection in the toe. I can see the color, the consistency and the shape of the toe is matching the diagnosis. This often becomes the cause of the ingrown toenail, or makes the toe prone to trauma.
This needs to be treated locally with animycotic cream plus systematic pills. This is why you need to see a dermatologist, who can prescribe you this medicine which is not over the counter.
So, do not worry for now. It will all go well. Just keep it clean and follow the steps I told you.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Eni 17 minutes later
She doesn't have a job to get it treated. Doctors want take you unless you have insurance.
Worse case scenario, could she lose her toe from this condition?
Answered by Dr. Eni 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
We will do the best without a local doctor

Detailed Answer:
I understand your condition. Her toe is not in danger of being lost, yet.
I will recommend you some homemade solutions, hoping that this will alleviate her problem.
Start putting her leg inside a basin with salty warm water. It will moisturize the wound, fight infection, and help the ingrown toenail to become softer and to part from the flesh.
When cutting your toenail, do not do it in a neat round shape. You should make a straight cut, and leave the borders long, making it possible for them to rely on the flesh of the toe, and not to dive deep on the sides.
Regarding the fungus infection, which is not life-threatening at all, but more of a esthetic/discomfort condition, there have been some results with using basins with warm water and vinegar.
So, in the end, please follow the counsels I wrote earlier and the ones in this answer.
The fungus infection will not be totally removed, but it will be kept under control.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana