How can a red bump in the groin area be treated?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have an ingrown hair in the bikini area. I got a wax and the esthitician said she got one hair out but believed there was more. The bump is red and hard-ish. It's raised. The liquid that comes out of it also has an unpleasant odor. Should I see a doctor in person to get it removed? Or is it safe to wait and see? I get scared about it being infected or getting staph. I don't know if this would affect it but I am also on my period. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
magnesium sulphate paste, warm compress, anti inflammatory

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

You can continue the hydrogen peroxide anti septic, use it twice daily. After using the anti septic, apply the topical antibiotic then magnesium sulphate paste.
The use of the anti septic would prevent or reduce infection

Magnesium sulphate paste has been known to help 'draw' out foreign material or pus from under the skin.

A warm compress can also be considered.

If there is pain, an oral anti inflammatory pain medication would help such as ibuprofen, naproxen, voltaren.

At this stage, it may not be necessary to see your doctor unless the symptoms are severe.

If there is no improvement after 24 to 48 hours, or there is worsening, then you should see your doctor.
He or she can remove the hair and may also prescribe oral antibiotics if they are needed

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions