Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

153 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can a patient with persistent nausea be assessed?

Answered by
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1970

Answered : 6113 Questions

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Four days ago I awoke with dizziness and nausea without vomiting, like an inner ear problem. Currently I have no dizziness but the nausea continues. I have no other symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need consultation, if it recurs.

Detailed Answer:


The dizziness and nausea without any other symptom could be due to various causes, which needs to be looked for -
- Simple fasting (eating nothing or less)/Over eating/indigestion causing disturbed digestion or less blood sugar.
- Acid peptic disease - which would accompany dull ache in epigastrium (stomach above umbilicus).
-Ear problems (allergy or infection, injury) which can be accompanied by history of fall, allergy or infection in ear.
- Problems of eye sight (refractory error, glaucoma) would have headache.
- Any illness in near past causing general weakness/heavy bleeding, diarrhea, fever or any other infection).

If the symptoms remain solitary (and do not repeat) you can skip with home management and watchful vigilance. The home care includes-
Rest/eat light, non spicy food in small and repeated servings/plenty of water with ORS, soup, juice. You can take tablet Avomin over the counter only with little cold milk, followed by tablet Histac.

But if you show any of above possible cause/if there is recurrence- you need a complete investigations to confirm/ exclude the possibilities followed by specific management by an expert advice.

I hope that answers your query.

Take care.

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale, General & Family Physician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on