How can a liver issue be treated as per the attached reports?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi,
My name is Dxxxxx. Age 35, Height 169cm, Weight 86kg. I went through the annual medical check earlier this month. Attached are the results.

The doctor who checked the reports suggests my Thyroid level is above normal. There seems to be an issue with liver function as well.

He recommended to start thyroxine sodium 100mg immediately for thyroid and recommended to work with a dietician for weight loss. He did not suggest anything for liver issue. Can you please let me know correct approach to tackle these? I haven't started the medication yet.

Thank you, Dxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Attachment missing

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern, however to be able to give you an informed answer I would need to see the check up results, which you have not attached.

Please retry to attach them and I will be happy to look into them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
I'm sorry. For some reason, the attachments didn't make it. Let me try again. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
The weight loss will help with the liver issue

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. I reviewed your test reports and it shows that you have what is called fatty liver, which is an accumulation of fat in the liver. This condition is categorized in degrees from first to fourth, the end result being chirrosis, which is irreversible. Fortunately, you have fatty liver grade 1-2, which is reversible through eight loss and change of lifestyle.

Your doctor was right in advising you to lose weight and I recommend you start by revising your every day diet. Avoid processed foods, sugary foods and drinks, corn syrup, alcohol consumption, junk food and replace all these with home cooked meals, fruit and vegetables, good hydration (6-8 cups of water per day) and fish rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Find a work out routine that works for you, like jogging, walking, weight lifting or swimming and make it a daily habit.

After three months of sticking to the new regime, I recommend you do a follow up with your doctor in order to see if there are any changes in your liver function tests.

I hope this answers your question. You are welcome to ask any further questions you might have.

Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 15 hours later
Greetings Dr. Ornela,

Thanks for your response. Can you please check the Thyroid test results as well. Looks like that's also above normal. Should I start taking medication for it?

I consume alcohol may be 3-4 times in a year. Do you see any issues with this?
I do not eat lot of outside foods. Because of hectic work schedules, I don't get to eat on time always. I understand these contributes to weight gains. Is thyroid playing a significant role as well?

Do you recommend working with a dietician to tackle these?

Thank you,
Deepak
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Yes, hypothyroidism has a role

Detailed Answer:
Yes, your low functioning thyroid is also to blame for your weight, however, as I understand, it is being take care of and you are already on thyroid medication, so this should help with the weight loss too.
I definitely recommend you work with a dietitian to devise the right diet for your age, constitution and health condition.

Wishing you good health and a happy new year.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T