How can Paxidep be replaced with Prozac?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Question:
Hi Doctor

I want to get off of Paxidep CR 12.5 and move to Prozac or some safer drug. Can you please advise on how to do the transition?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes sure

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting again to me.

During the transition we need to do cross titration (one medicine going up and other going down). The usual process in case of antidepressants lasts three to six weeks without much problem.

I am charting down the process which can be as follows

Week 1
Tab. Paxidep CR 12.5 mg per day
Tab/cap. Prozac/Fludac/Prodep 10 mg in the morning

Week 2 (from day 8)
Tab. Paxidep CR 12.5 mg per day
Tab. Prozac/Fludac/Prodep 20 mg in the morning

Week 3 (day 15)
Tab. Paxidep 10 mg per day

Week 4 (day 22)
Tab. Paxidep 10 mg half tablet per day

Week 5 (day 29)

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks again.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 3 hours later
Thanks doc. But this replaces the paxidep cr 12.5 with prozac 20 mg which seems to be a higher dose ? Is that intentional ? Im
Not aure i need an increase in dosage
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not higher dose

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for follow up.

The apparent increase in mg does not mean it is higher dose. The minimum effective dose of prozac for an adult person is 20 mg per day while for paroxetine (paxidep) it is just 12.5 mg per day.

My plan is to replace minimum effective dose of paxidep with minimum effective dose of prozac.

I hope this helps you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Thanks, i understand. I hope my qestion and other data will remain confidential. Do you practice in delhi? I would like to get a consultation in person
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for follow up.

I practice in XXXXXXX which is almost 600 Km from XXXXXXX

Regarding your data please drop a mail to Healthcaremagic customer support so they will delete it from the system. Although it is confidential from the patient perspective but can be accessed by other health professionals so deleting will ensure complete confidentiality.

I hope this assures you.
Thanks again.