Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

How are peptic ulcers and costochondritis treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
My chest feels heavy in the center and I have a prickly feeling across my chest. I have kind of a hoarse cough every so often. It feels like a pole going through frm front to back.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.

Three possibilities are possible for your symptoms. These include:

1)     Costochondritis: which is an inflammation of the joints in your chest. The diagnosis can only be reached after excluding more serious causes of chest pain that are related to the heart and lungs and there is no specific test for this. But people have reported improvement after applying warm compresses and taking peptic ulcers or acid reflux. Manometry studies and an upper GI endoscopy can confirm the diagnosis.

3)     Given your history of cough, it is important to rule out any lung causes like bronchitis as well. It is better to get a CT chest and pulmonary function tests done to rule out any lung causes.

Till you get these investigations done from a physician, follow these treatment measures:

1)     Avoid alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, chocolate or spicy or greasy foods and instead take cold foods preferably liquids like milk and yoghurt.

2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

3)     You may also need antacids and proton pump inhibitor drugs for controlling the stomach acid.

4)     Application of warm compresses also helps in case it is costochondritis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor