How are images taken during a colonoscopy?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I recently had a colonoscopy and wanted to bring the actual films to my physician for review. I was told there are no actual films and only the paper copy in my record. I don't believe this and my question is ARE THERE ACTUAL FILMS? Otherwise how did the hospital manage to place a paper copy in my medical record? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Images taken by camera, so no films as such

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

I should rightfully start by explaining to you the procedure of a colonoscopy. A flexible or rigid probe with a camera at the tip of it, is passed through the anal opening and then through parts of your large colon. During this procedure, if any abnormalities are noted, there is an option to take images and record them. Once the procedure is complete, the colonoscopic device can be connected to a computer and the images that were taken during the procedure can be saved and even printed if required.

These very same images were passed on to you and possibly even a report of observation along with them. I am sorry if you have misunderstood, but there are no films as such, but only images as the device used is a camera and not an x-ray machine. I personally assure you of the same, as I have myself conducted several colonoscopies.

I hope this clears your misunderstanding ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.