How accurate is a HIV combo test?

Dr. Matin Ahmad Khan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: hello i had unprotected sex on 21 of XXXXXXX on the 25 i dun antibody test was negative and an on the 15 of July witch is 24 days later 3weeks and half i dun serology viral in the clinic here in France this test is 100% after 6 weeks i dun it all most 4 weeks ARCHITECT AG/AC HIV COMBO ABBOTT TECHNIQUE CMIA was negative

negative =1

negative 0.14

whats the accurate of this test dun 24 days after post exposer

do i need to do another test whats the chances of the next test to change hello i had unprotected sex on 21 of XXXXXXX on the 25 i dun antibody test was negative and an on the 15 of July witch is 24 days later 3weeks and half i dun serology viral in the clinic here in France this test is 100% after 6 weeks i dun it all most 4 weeks ARCHITECT AG/AC HIV COMBO ABBOTT TECHNIQUE CMIA was negative
Answered by Dr. Matin Ahmad Khan 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Newer tests are accurate, conclusive at 90 days

Detailed Answer:
Hello I am Dr Matin and will be happy to answer your questions
1.Test accuracy data at 24 days is not available, but what is known that 4th generation tests are accurate 95% at 4 weeks and 99.99% at three months and that this needs to be confirmed after 3 months with a second test as 5 % of people take this much of time(90 days) to show a positive result and HIV Combo is a 4th Generation Test.
2.An HIV test is considered conclusive at 90 days. By the 24th day a negative result is a good indicator of what to expect at the 90 day mark, but you must go in for the final test at 90 days.
3. Chances of your next test getting changed is extremely low.

Hope this helps. You can always revert with more queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju