How accurate is Oraquick test to check for HIV?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: can i ask hiv oraquick test
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
depends upon how long after the 40 minutes

Detailed Answer:
If it was read pretty close to 40 minutes then it should still be accurate. The test itself is very accurate but must be read accurately. If you are not sure I would suggest repeating the test and make sure you read it at the correct time.

The OraQuick test is as accurate (99.9% of the time) at identifying HIV-negative results as blood testing done in a lab by trained professionals. OraQuick is 91.7% accurate at identifying HIV-positive test results.

These test numbers for OraQuick are very good. No test is 100% accurate.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 32 hours later
I read result at 1 hour 20 minutes and the result was shown very clearly in 1 line (negative) can I stil believe the result?
Becus staff of oraquick said that if after 40 minutes , result could be possible change from 2 line (positive) to 1 line(negative). Are the information correct?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes, that is correct

Detailed Answer:
You need to repeat the test and read it at 40 minutes.
Dr. Robinson