Hit the front of head. Now having headache. Normal?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Head Injuries
Question: I hit the front of my head this morning. Back of head has been hurting for the last couple of hours. Is this normal? Do they have anything to do with each other?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From your description it seems that you have suffered a minor head injury.
An impact on one side of head causes a rebound injury to the other side of the cerebrum when it hits the hard skull. This has given rise to the symptoms on the back of the head.
If you can consult a physician easily then it is best to get yourself examined for any neurological deficits. You can also self monitor yourself for any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately.
Meanwhile you can do a hot compress in the area of injury and take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.