Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Hit on the back of the head, large lump, headaches, sunken area. Treatment ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12750 Questions
Hi! I hit the back of my head in a fall 10 days ago. I had a quite large lump for a few days that went down, but had horrific headaches for several days. The area is sunken in somewhat now, and very tender to the touch. So much, that I cannot lay down on a pillow on that area. Should I get checked out?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us.

You have got a history of head injury with a painful lump which was probably a hematoma that subsided.

The headaches that you had would be due to raised pressure in your head due to hematoma and edema after injury.

A sunken area in a hard skull means there is fracture of your skull bones and it is compressing the brain.

I strongly recommend you to see your physician immediately to get the proper investigations like MRI of head done to assess the damage done by the injury to your brain.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Critical Care

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor