Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

History of heart surgery. Burning sensation in groin area. No lump or redness. What's wrong?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5766 Questions
A burning sensation that comes and goes frequently on the right side in the groin area (male), that feels like it could be an artery. There is nothing to see, no lump, no redness, nothing. The doctor says he doesn't know. the pain is that bad that it is stopping me from playing golf and basically everything. I am sitting and it constantly just comes and goes. Do you have any answers of what this could be?

I had major heart surgery six years ago and the major vein in my right leg was removed to restore my arteries. I am 77 years old.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can appear due to inguinal hernia (even if no lump is present), enlarged lymph nodes, varicose veins, sciatica (due to sciatic nerve compression), spine disc herniation. hand in the groin area while standing and try to cough. If the hernia is present, some kind of pulsating lump should be present.
As you have had your vein removed for by-pass surgery, it can be a reason of your symptoms. Groin area is the place where saphenous vein flows to femoral vein. Very often if saphenous vein is widen, the blood can flow back to this vein and cause the pain. Moreover, saphenous vein is the one which were removed. And for sure it was removed only partially (the scar is on the calf only).

The best way to have it diagnosed is to perform groin ultrasound, veins doppler ultrasound. If no findings, urine analysis, PSA level should be also checked and you should visit neurologist for physical examination. Spine MRI should be considered.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor