Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

High BP, cholesterol in limits. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
My blood pressure is coming like 145/95 from last 3-4 days. I am measuring using Omron Auto Blood Pressure unit. It is looking high. My cholesterols have been with in limit in last few years. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Radhika 35 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

You mentioned that your blood pressure is 145/95 from 3 to 4 days.

The average blood pressure is around 120 (systolic pressure) over 80 (diastolic pressure) and the systolic component tends to increase with ageing.
A blood pressure higher than 140/90 at rest is significant and entails evaluation. Measurements in an automatic monitor may not be always correct and you will need to get it tested manually by a Doctor 3 to 4 times. IF higher readings are found even after repeated manual measurement, lifestyle modification and drug therapy would be needed.
I would suggest that you get yourself tested by your physician and make a record of the blood pressure noted at each visit. If the reading is higher than 140/90 after testing for 3-4 times, each visit being about 1 month apart, then intervention is warranted.
Till then, I would suggest the following:
a.     Decrease your salt intake to less than 5 grams a day (less than 1 tsp).
b.     Exercise regularly for about 50 minutes daily
c.     Eat a nutritious and balanced diet which is low in refined sugar and fat ( especially saturated and trans fat) and XXXXXXX in complex carbohydrates, fruits and vegetable
d.     Practice some de-stressing exercises like yoga or XXXXXXX breathing.
Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor