Having headache, blood pressure 173 over 84 and pulse 84. Should I consult doctor?

Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I just wake up with blood prssure 173 over 84 and pulse 84 I have a head ache should I go to E R?
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 46 minutes later

You are having a blood pressure of 173/84mmhg and pulse rate of 84 beats /minute.
Your diastolic blood pressure that is 84 is in pre-hypertensive level; however your systolic blood pressure is raised.

At this blood pressure, there is no need to go to ER.

If you are hypertensive and on drugs, you can take your usual dose of anti hypertensive drug.

If you are not hypertensive and this is your first reading of raised blood pressure, recheck your pressure, if still same reading comes, get yourself evaluated for increased systolic blood pressure, since your triglycerides are already raised.

For headache you can take simple analgesic like paracetamol.

Hope this answer your question.

If you have any more questions, do write to us.

Dr Sadiq

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Sadiq Mughal 4 hours later
I do not take any medicine an my blood pressure is still high 155/98 pulse 85 still with head ache not feeling well
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 59 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up.

This time your systolic blood pressure has come down, from 173 to 155mmHg, but your diastolic blood pressure has increased from 84 to 98 mmHg.
Your pulse is ok.
Blood pressure in this range needs treatment, but it is probable that the first reading that was high made you anxious, which further increased your blood pressure. I would suggest that you just relax since stress will only make matters worse. after relaxing for some time (you could do some XXXXXXX breathing, chat with people or do something you like), you could consider taking another reading.
If the headache doesnt disappear and the reading is still high, then please go to the ER. If it disappears, take another reading after 12 hours and if it still above 140/90 mm Hg, please see your general physician. You would need to be started on therapy for high blood pressure.
But before starting treatment, you would need a complete work up for high blood pressure and we would also like rule out any secondary cause of high blood pressure like kidney or heart diseases.
Mean while you restrict your dietary intake of salt. If you do smoke, please cut down on it. Given that you do have an increased triglyceride level, I assume you're already on a low fat diet.

Hope this answers your question

Let me know if you have any more questions

Relax and take care

Dr Sadiq

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli