High B 12 results from blood test with all other
May be just a chance but needs consideration and further evaluation
Hi and Welcome to Ask a Doctor service. I have read your question and here is my advice.
While we mainly chek b12 level for deficiency however some times we find levels to be high. High levels of vit b 12 is unlikely to be caused by food or taking b12. So it's needs proper consideration and have been studied and linked to certain diseases.
1. If your vit b12 is not very high, it may be a normal finding and if you are fine, we may just need to repeat it in some times.
2.However significantly high vit b12 level may be found in a number of chronic and serious diseases. These include liver disease, kidney disease and few blood disorders. So if persistently high level is there in blood, we generally advise to work for these diseases. So it may be a normal finding, but mostly is associated with diseases. So you generally need to discuss this with your doctor and work up would be needed depending upon your signs and symptoms. I would recommend to repeat the test in some times, and if was still high then see your doctor in this regards.
Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I will be glad to answer your questions.
Dr Mahboob Ur Rahman.
Could this be related to MTHFR mutation?
Please see detailed answer.
Hi, thank you for writing back to us.
This is great that your blood work has been normal and this is quite reassuring. If your liver Kidney and blood work has already been done and normal, you don't need to worry. This little high level looks quite normal. Just relax, and repeat levels in few months.
It's does not look to be related either to mutation in MTHFR gene. The said gene rather causes high level of homcyctien and may hence be associated with low level of folate, and b12 rather then high. Yes let me admit this that the mutation in the gene has been enormous and not been extensively known yet, and still under studies, I don't know if there is a link. But the hall mark of this gene mutation is high homocyctine level.
Relax and enjoy good health.
Please w don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hello. In Mid-May I spent two weeks traveling in a
- I have severe insomnia . so I have taken 2
- Hello, I am trying to find how to complete sentences
- awakened dizzy this morning with a cold sweat. took my
- Would 250 mg daily of magnesium have adverse effect on
- I have been having a feeling of something moving up
- I received my MRI and MRA of both brain and
- at what low dose of predisone does your adernal glands
- blood test results how high is it when you are
- Ulcer pain keeps me from sleeping. Can I take Tylenol