Hi, My 7 year old daughter had one swollen lymph

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 4 Apr 2019 in Cancer
Question: Hi,

My 7 year old daughter had one swollen lymph node on her right neck 4 weeks back which was painful to touch and the swelling increased in size first week, so we went for Complete Blood count which came up normal and then we went for ultrasound. Result provided below.

Result :
Multiple enlarged lymphnodes in right level II,III and IV groups. Largest lymph node mesures 29.4 x 19.5 mm. It shows sign of liquefaction. Increased vascularity noted. Few enlarged lymphnodes noted in left level II and III group. Largest measuring 20.5x8.5mm.

Impression:
multiple cervical lymphadenopathy- predominantly in right level group - suggestive of infective etiology.
suggested lab investigation and FNAC correlation.

After getting the ultrasound done, she was put on antibiotic for 8 days and we started noticing the lump shrinking in size and pain has gone away too. We waited for another 2 weeks after antibiotic dosage was over and we could notice the lump shrinking in size slowly. Her doctor has adviced to take one more antibiotic dosage for 5 more days from today after which he would recommend a fnac.

Lump is still there but it has significantly reduced in size. Please let me know if I should go for fnac. what is your perception? Is this an infection?
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 0 minute later

Result :

Impression:

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 47 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query. I understand your concerns.

The USG report is suggestive of infection. Apparently the lymph glands are shrinking well with antibiotics so it corroborates the diagnosis. Some small residual lymph glands may remain, that is normal.

As long as they are significantly reduced and the child is well, I would not worry too much and not go for FNAC. However, if her doctor feels that the remaining glands are still significant, then FNAC will be required, mostly to rule out tuberculosis.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Looks like infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Hope this helps.