Hi, Ive been on 0.05 estridol patch and 200 mg

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 26 Jan 2019 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi, Ive been on 0.05 estridol patch and 200 mg of Prometrium (capsule) for a long time and have felt well. Lately I have had horrible insomnia, sometimes only getting an hour or 2 of sleep per night. I have no other symptoms. I also have low thyroid but take levothyroxine at 112 mcgrm a day (which i ve been taking for over 30 yrs). My last blood work was done about 6 months ago.My doctor recommended upping my prometrium to adding 100 mg/3 times a week. I think it has made my insomnia worse . Is it possible that I am estrogen dominant. Im thinking of stopping these hormones all together. I'm 64. yrs. old
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
About hormonal replacement therapy;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!

First of all, I would recommend to try reducing the dose of hormonal replacement therapy and think to get rid of it within a few months.

You should not increase the dose without being sure that the hormonal blood level is low.
The hormonal imbalance can be the cause of insomnia.
Try to recheck also TSH level to be sure that the dose of levothyroxine is the right one.

I remain at your disposal for any further questions.

Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee