Hi Doctor, My daughter is 26 months old. She has

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sun, 10 Mar 2019 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
My daughter is 26 months old. She has gone outside yesterday when it was a bit cold and she has got fever since yesterday night. It was 100 F yesterday night then, 101.5 F today morning and it has shoot upto 103 now. We are giving her Calpol drops 1.8 ml every 6 hourly since yesterday night itself.

Please suggest shall we continue with the same treatment or shall we do something else? I am worried as fever has shot upto 103 F today. We have Maftal P also available with us.

Ankur XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like a viral illness, please continue

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.
Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Best regards - Dr Sumanth Amperayani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D