Hello, my name is Joe Robles, for the past few

Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman

Posted on Mon, 25 Feb 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, my name is Joe Robles, for the past few months I have been getting boils and cysts on my buttocks and groin area,my doctors have not come up with a solution,I have been doing some researc on my past medical history I took a shingles vaccine zostavax about 3 years ago and its the only thing that I could think that is causing this,My question is what steps could discuss with my doctors that would correct this infiction.
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor' service. I have read your question and here is my advice.
Boils at the pereneal area is common. It Indicates a skin infection and is not related to the vaccine.
You are right, in many patients this may be recurrent. The reasons for recurrence are many. One common reason is that many times the infection is not completely treated. The Focus of infection is not erridicatedwhich may be deep and may need prolong course of antibiotics. . So we advise a prolong course of antibiotics in such patients besides getting culture of the boil.
Other reasons of recurrence may be poor hygiene or shaving of the area. So we advise to take good care of the local hygine. Sitz bath with pyodine solution may be very helpful.
Another inportnat think to discuss is to chek for any immunodeficiency like sugar.

So you may need to discuss with your doctor about local source and prolong antibiotics. Also be advised about hygine and may need checking your sugars and culture of the boil.

Hope this help your understand your querry. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions or concerns.
Kind Regards Dr Mahboob Ur Rahman
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 1 hour later
what is a sitz bath and pyodine solution?
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Sorry for getting late with the reply..
Pyodine is an anti _germ liquid solution. It's is used for dressing and cleaning of skin to avoid infection. A similar solution is dettol used as anti septic.
Sitz bath mean, we put little Pyodine( few ml) in a tub of water, and then the patient sits in the tub for 5 to 10 minutes.
Hope you understand it. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj