question-icon

Hello, I've been a pack a day smoker for 42

Posted on Fri, 22 Jun 2018
Question: Hello, I've been a pack a day smoker for 42 years. I am 58, weigh 128lbs & am 5'6.5" tall. I need back surgery ASAP due to bulged & degenerative discs. My Surgeon told me no more smoking because insurance requires a cotinine/nicotine level test before surgery is permitted. Have cut down on the cigs to 10 a day and will taper down. Then stop completely in 1 week. How long do you think it will take to be at the level needed to get the operation done? I exercise, work-out with weights, drink lots of water, take calcium, vitamin D & others. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks much
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Nicotine in blood test

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
Nicotine can be seen in blood 1-3 days after using tabbaco. Taking count of your history of long time smoker it can take up to a week for your nicotine levels to come down at the levels of non smoking person, after you totally stop smoking.
When you stop smoking the inflammation in lungs will go down and you will feel better in your life activities.
In 10 years with non smoking the chances of lung cancer will reduce in half.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Best regards.
Dr. Olgeta Xhufka.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Olgeta Xhufka