Hello. I am a 50 yr old male in above

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Sun, 17 Mar 2019 in General Health
Question: Hello. I am a 50 yr old male in above average physical condition. I am a type 1 diabetic though with a higher than normal A1C 9.5. Other than slow digestion I have no other physical problems. My blood work always comes back the same. Everything is normal except my A1C. blood pressure great, 110/70, heart rate 80 weight 205, I"m 6' tall. I have two full time careers. I am a professional firefighter and I own a small 4 man construction company.

Here is my strange symptom. For the last year or so almost every time I sit and eat a meal I usually break out in a very noticeable heavy head and neck sweat and only my head and neck. I would say that my head sweats far more than my neck. After i take a towel and dry my head and neck then for the next couple of hours I shiver because I'm cold, regardless of the time of year. I've been tested for arterial blockages and have NO blockages of any type in my body. I've spoken to my endocrinologist and she doesn't know why this happens. Do you have any ideas? If this is a mystery to you as well could I ask maybe that you could discuss this with some of your colleges?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably symptoms related to diabetes.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

In my opinion your symptoms seem to be related to diabetes.

The sweating often involves sweating of scalp, neck and chest.

This symptom is related to nephropathy and neuropathy.

They are both diabetes complications related to kidney and nerve damage.

So,I recommend to do some examinations to check kidney function such as creatinine and azotemia level.

I recommend to avoid spicy food, alcohol, vinegar, fresh fruits and salty foods.

It is very important to maintain the blood sugar under control.

I suggest regular measurement of the blood sugar and HbA1C.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T