Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Having upper back to thoracic region pain. Experiencing radiating parasthesia. MRI showed mild degenrative changes. Guide?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10356 Questions
I have been having sharp pain in my upper back, right side, for 8 weeks, upper to mid thoracic region between bottom of scapula and thoracic spine. I suspect a golf related injury as I heard a snap while swinging the club. The pain is worse on some days and can be unrelenting. I have also been experiencing some radiatiating paresthesia to the chest area. I am very concerned about CA as I have a Hx of 1/4-1/2 ppd x 26 yrs. CXR was normal and MR showed mild degenerative changes???
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in the back that you have described is likely to be due to a muscle sprain or tear or a degenerative disc disease with a mild nerve root compression.
This is not likely to be related to a cardiac or a lung related cause.
In most of the cases, the pain improves on taking a combination of pain killer with a strong muscle relaxant. You can get the appropriate combination prescribed from your orthopedician.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
Taking methylcobalamin supplements will help in decreasing paresthesias.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor