Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Having swollen gums. Advised for tooth removal and root canal. Prescribed clohax and singoflam. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1011 Questions
Hello Doctor,

Since last couple of weeks my gums are swollen. When I contacted a nearby dentist, they advised me that I have some kind of infection and advised me to get my tooth removed. They also said that I would need to get root canal and prescribed me Clohax Mouthwash, Singoflam tablets. They cleaned my tooth (Upper & lower) and advised me to use the medicine for 4-5 days. I was not satisfied with that dentist so visited another, the other dentist said opposite, she advised me to only get my tooth cleaned and charged me a hefty amount. I understand that without thorough checkup, you would not be able to advise, but would appreciate if you can let me know a good dentist, who can really help me in getting my gums/tooth fixed.
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 51 minutes later
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Swollen gums are due to two reasons.

First one being that you have deep pocket, that occurs when the supporting structures of tooth are infected and therefore cause pus and infection to gums.

The other features associated are bleeding from gums,pain ,and mobility of teeth of varying degrees.Have you noticed that?

The second reason for swollen gums is, the tooth might be decayed extensively and the infection passes to gums,causing swelling and pain.

In this case the tooth requires root canal treatment.

Both cases, gum problems can be easily seen and confirmed through x XXXXXXX

You have been advised antibiotics and analgesics for five days, even this is also a correct line of treatment.

To start with any treatment it is best to get your teeth cleaned, also it is a good practice to get your teeth cleaned once in six months.

so, I would say please do not get worried,your treatment is proceeding in correct direction.

Now you should ask the same dentist for further help, where you got the cleaning done.

If you have just pocket problem it will definitely subside after cleaning.

But if it is related to tooth decay, it will not subside by just cleaning the teeth.
That ultimately requires root canal treatment as a final therapy.

Therefore I would suggest you to wait and watch if you have already got the cleaning done. If the symptoms persists approach the same dentist and please let me know, what you are suggested there.

Please do not hesitate to ask further query related to this problem. I would be glad to answer you.

Hope I have answered your query presently.


Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having swollen gums. Advised for tooth removal and root canal. Prescribed clohax and singoflam. Suggest? 1 hour later
Hello Dr. Anshumala,

Thank you for your response. I will seek the dentist's advise and see how things progress. Should I require any further assistance will surely get in touch.

Again, thank you and hope you have great week ahead.

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 7 minutes later

Thanks and most welcome.

Wish you good health.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor