Having severe pain in legs, lower back and hip during sleep. Walking around provides relief. Suggest

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have severe pain in my legs(muscles) lower back & hip area during sleeping time at night. Relief comes when I arise & walk around for about 10 mins.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: It could be Postural backpain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us Based on the description of symptoms, I think it is Postural backpain owing to the odd position adopted while sleeping. Any muscle in the body will tend to go into spasm (tightness) if it is held in one particular position for a given period of time. So, I suggest you to avoid sleeping positions which produces pain. Do gradual and mild stretching exercises along with Moist heat fomentation over the painful area so as to increase the blood supply to the underlying muscles and also the relax them. If your pain is intolerable, use oral muscle relaxants and massage painkiller creams over the affected regions. An MRI scan may be needed to rule out any underlying pathology that is producing pain. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Wishing you good health.. Take care
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 minutes later
I am on Welbutrin. Somewhere I read that it could cause leg pain. What do you think. does wellbutrin cause leg pain?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It can cause leg and muscle pain. Detailed Answer: Hi, Wellbutrin (bupropion hydrochloride) can cause leg and muscle pain, but it is the rare side effect. I think your pain more related to muscle spasm that is the reason you got relief after walking for 10 minutes. During walking , stretching of muscle occurs that relieves the spasm. Hope this helps you.
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later
I took 500mg of naproxen before bed last nite & it did help. Is this pres. safe to take twice a day.?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later
Brief Answer: you can take it twice a day for pain. Detailed Answer: The usual adult dose of naproxen for pain is 250 every 6 to 8 hours or 500 mg twice daily . So you can take it twice a day for pain after prescription of your treating doctor.
I take 10mg's of rosuvastatin daily. Would this have any effect on my leg pains?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It can cause muscle pain Detailed Answer: Rosuvastatin can cause muscle pain and myopathy. Again it is a rare side effect and it not seems to related with your leg pains.