Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Having severe cramps and early periods. Having metal test in mouth. Could I be pregnant or experiencing a miscarriage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1671 Questions
Could I be pregnant or experiencing a miscarriage?
I am having severe cramps and my period is one week early, it does not look like or feel like my normal cycle? The colour is brownish and a light red but only a small flow.
I have a metal taste in my mouth and I love my coffee but the smell and taste now makes me sick.
I am worried because I have never had cramps this bad before.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Any time a young reproductive age woman experiences cycle irregularity or unusual bleeding, pregnancy has to be considered a possibility. I am assuming that you have taken a pregnancy test?

The earliest that a test would potentially turn positive would be about 2 weeks after conception. So along these lines, the latest that it SHOULD be positive would be about 2-3 weeks AFTER the LAST time that you had unprotected intercourse.

Assuming that you are pregnant, then certainly your symptoms might be related to the pregnancy. Assuming you are not pregnant, then the symptoms might be related to your cycle or something completely different - even a cold or congestion can seriously alter your sense of tast and smell.

I hope this helps. Let me know and good luck!!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor