Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Having pain in lower back and upper portion of the buttocks. Any remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 79 Questions
Past 2 days Lower back upper portion of the buttocks is paining inside.It feels like twisting and the particular place is paining badly.Please help out any remedies which can be done at home..
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 54 minutes later
This pain that you describe is rather unusual. Everytime there is a puzzling symptom its always wise not to delay your visit to your doctor. All the same, may i try and sort out your problem.
The area you describe is mostly soft tissue, fat and muscle. Check whether you have done some strenuous/lifting/twisting kind of work or exercises in the recent past.
Its possible you tend to sit for long periods of time e.g. at the computer in one particular posture and this is one way of your body protesting.
If there is no pain on movements of the leg where it is attached to the body (the hip joint) then it rules out problems of the bone joints there.
It could be an infection in the fat tissues. Check with the back of your hand whether the temperature is raised in this area compared to same area on the other side. If it is, you may need some antibiotics and/or anti-inflammatory tablets on your doctor's prescription.

You could try the most wonderful of home remedies with considerable relief - hot fomentation. This is the application of dry heat to the affected area using a hot water bottle or an electric thermal pad. Use this twice a day for about 10-15 minutes but do not continue if the pain increases. You could take some anti-inflammatory tablets available over the counter at your pharmacy or even simple Paracetomol (not on an empty stomach please).

Do try the age old home remedy for inflammations: 1 teaspoon of raw turmeric in a glass of warm milk daily for few days.

If these simple measures don't work, please don't hesitate to visit the doctor.

You may also know that sometimes some dis-ease process of our body doesn't show or tell all the symptoms in the beginning. Something may be evolving and the complete gamut of symptoms may happen to you even as you read this or over next few days. Remain alert to symptoms of your body as they develop and act wisely.
Take care,
Dr Nirja Chawla
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in lower back and upper portion of the buttocks. Any remedy? 1 hour later
thanks doctor...I came to US by the month of may.i had irregular periods after coming here.last month i got my periods after 80 days..but from last month we have planned for the baby and we have started our intercorse next periods date is oct 28th.i got scared that since we had intercose i had this pain,because the pain is little different and it is very irritating.I have not gone through this pain before.Its like somebody pulling my veins inside that particular place inside the lower back,but i am able to urinate and go for motion normally.can I see this for this one day because if so i have to check with a doctor we need to get the appointment.And that too doctor 2 days i feel hungry and dont like to eat...sometimes i feel like vomiting also
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 48 minutes later
Yes XXXXXXX , you can certainly watch this pain for a few days and do these simple home measures at the same time.

Since this pain has followed an act of intercourse, it seems to me that you overstretched and strained your muscles. Relax. The only thing important about the human body is when the 'antennae' are alerted to some serious problem. As of now and especially with your follow-up note, it doesn't appear very alarming. It should settle down. If not, of course, you must check out with your local doctor who will be able to examine you and take a detailed history.

What is important is the reasons for your delayed periods and your loss of appetite and vomitting. These happened after you went to USA. Could you be experiencing a stress reaction? You will need to tackle your stress levels immediately. Although this is not a part of your original query, i thought i must point out to you what looks obvious to me. Maybe, once you settle down in your new home, a new culture and accept your life situation as it is, your problems may settle down. If they don't it may be wise to visit a doctor locally.
Take care,
Dr Nirja Chawla
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor