Owl Image

Having pain and tightening sensation behind ribs and back. Could it be slipped disc?

Radiologist
Question
I have a constant dull ache and tightening sensation behind my ribs and back (left upper abdomen). The pain started after I found out I was pregnant. I miscarried yesterday and pain remains. I also have a pain in left shoulder, pins and needles in left leg and ache in mid spine. Woke up feeling hot and but pain now subsiding after an hour. Doctor now saying not pregnancy related and could be slipped disc. But to me it feels like in sides are swollen/full.
Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for writing in.

Lower limb pins and needle sensation is most probably from disc changes. It is not related to a miscarriage. However upper abdominal pain may be due the miscarriage.

It is necessary to consult your gynecologist to rule out it is complete abortion. Also you must get your sonography done . It will rule out the abdominal causes.

After a few days if the symptoms persist then MRI spine will be investigations of choice. Otherwise no need of expensive investigation on emergency basis.

Hope I have answered your query. Any follow up are welcome.

Regards.