Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Having pain and swelling on teeth. Prescribed metrogel, zerodol-p and suggested for RCT. Thoughts?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 700 Questions
Sir,I am 34 yers old.I am suffrice some pain & swelling on my left side upper teeth,I visit Doctor's chamber and he wrote some medicine like, co-symoxyl-625, Metrogel, Zerodol-p,and advice for RCT.I wanted to know what Is RCT, and is there any other option as I here from somone that RCT is not good it effect to other teeth too. Pl advice
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to tell you that when infection of tooth becomes deep & involves pulp then the only method to save the tooth is Root Canal Treatment (RCT).

In Root Canal treatment, the dentist drills into the pulp chamber and removes the infected pulp and then drills the nerve out of the root canal (s) with long needle-shaped drills. After this is done, the dentist fills each of the root canals and the chamber with an inert material and seals up the opening.

It is very safe & painless procedure & doesn't affect other teeth.

Before proceeding for this treatment, you need to get your pain & swelling subsided.
That's why your dentist prescribed you mentioned medicines.

In my opinion after taking following regime of medicines you should get your RCT started.

Hope this suffices. Please feel free to ask if you have any more queries.

Take Care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor