Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Having open wound at several places and suffer pain. Had surgery after hernia repair. Help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
i am a 52 year old male that had surgery about 5 years this time i have several places that are open wounds ,and cause me a great deal of pain.there are lots of scare tissue under my skin that causes ongoing problems.constant drainage every day .this is the result of a surgien that caused me to have 3 different surgeries after a basic hernia i am a mess .i just cant take it anymore.please give me some advice!
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do understand how disheartening it could be undergoing and living such an experience. But I still believe something could be done. A few considerations need to be put in context.

Recurrent drainage could result from inappropriate closure or persistence of certain tracts in the body, communication between a cavity of viscus and the external surface through a passage (called either a sinus or a fistula), a collection of pus in area within the body and finally poorly drained pus or drug resistant infection with continues growth of a particular germs or bacteria.

Under such circumstances, a multidisciplinary team could offer a great solution. I strong suggest you consult an visceral surgeon and I plastic surgeon. A complete clinical review, with appropriate testing to identify either passages, collections should be done. Tests like fistulographies are available, but require an accurate clinical diagnosis before being realized.

I suggest you consult a visceral surgeon and a plastic surgeon consequently. A visceral surgeon, under certain circumstances could single handedly be helpful. Considering that you have undergone many surgeries, more caution is required and a team of EXPERIENCED surgeons, at least two, should be my idea.

I suggest you book am appointment with a visceral surgeon. Culture and sensitivity tests of any germs should be done. Sending sample to two different laboratories to increase sensitivity could be of much help. Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you good health.

Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor