Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Having numbness and ache in elbow and underarm following stabbing pain. Had lower back operation. Suggestions?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
Following stabbing pains along the arm ten days ago there has been both a numbness and ache of the elbow and under arm. This is still continuing . MRI scan to brain has revealed no damage there. I had a lower back operation in February to alleviate sciatica in right leg- following one four years ago for the same on left leg. Original pain this time also included a focus on upper right back. All other tests have been done. Would welcome your opinion.
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
The description suggests that you have CERVICAL RADICULOPATHY which is most commonly related to cervical intervertebral disc degeneration with irritation of a particular nerve root.
The early manifestations include - pain in the distribution of the particular nerve, tingling and numbness. If left untreated will cause muscle weakness and reflex changes in the nerve root distribution.
Diagnosis is generally made by clinical examination and confirmed by MRI scan of cervical spine ,EMG or Nerve conduction studies.
Initial management is by -
* cervical collar
* Analgesic and antiinflammatory medications
* Neurotropic vitamins (Vit B12 especially)
* Physiotherapy
* Epidural steroids may be helpful in certain cases.

Surgical decompression is needed if there is no response to the above line of management or if the neurological symptoms are deteriorating.
Hope I have answered your query. Happy to help if you need any more clarification. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor