Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Having heavy painful periods. Had fibroids and uterus is swollen. Advised to do abdominal hysterectomy. Correct?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I am 45 years old and I have heavy painful peroids every 2 weeks lasting 10 days and breakthrough in between, I was told I had fibriods and my uterus is swollen. I am seeing a older doctor 63 and he wants to do a abdominal hysterectomy, I think he is old fashion and I want a laproscopic what should I do. Do I need a abdominal for fibroids or can I go with a less painful surgery
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later
It does seem that you do need an hystrectomy. But the type of hystrectomy will depend on your clinical condition. If the uterus is very large and distorted then sometimes,laproscopic surgery isnt possible. Also if you have had previous surgery or ceasarean sections,then laproscopic surgery will be difficult. Thirdly, the correct lap instruments should be available for best possible surgery. In lap surgery,case selection is very important. If difficulties arise, then complications can also arise. You should discuss with your doctor, as to why he recommends abdominal surgery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor