Having heart fluttering and heart burning. Is this GERD?

Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Heart fluttering makes me want to cough ,feeling for about 5 minutes it pastfor now but Is this gerd ? I dont have heartburn right now. Or is it my heart got very anxious . I take asprin, synthyroid daily.
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: See a cardiologist. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. The sensation you have experienced could be related to your heart. You may be getting runs of tachycardia, a fast heart beat. This can sometimes be felt as a flutter or palpitations. I suggest you see a cardiologist for further investigation. You may need a 24 hour ECG in the first instance which may record an abnormal heart beat. Coffee can cause a fast heart beat so you could reduce caffeine intake if you think this excessive. I hope this of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA
Follow up: Dr. Kerry Pottinger 3 minutes later
It only happened for a few seconds one after each other , felt like i had to clear my throat and cough ? Should i go to ER
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: No. You do not need emergency treatment. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for the further information. This does appear to be a run of abnormal heart beats but is not an emergency. It is quite common to have the occasional runs of these heart beats. It will be OK to wait to see a specialist at the earliest convenient time but you do not need to go to the ER. I hope this has reassured you. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger