Having constant knee joint pain. How to get rid of it?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having a joint pain on my left leg for the past 2 years and couple of months back i just started playing football to get rid of this.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later
A constant knee joint pain for last two years could be due to Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (runner's knee).

Patellofemoral pain may be the result of irritation of the soft tissues around the front of the knee. Strained tendons are fairly common in athletes. Other contributing factors to patellofemoral pain include overuse, muscle imbalance and inadequate stretching.

Playing football will be helpful but it needs to be done after adequate warming up exercises and after the acute pain subsides.

Treatment:-
Use the RICE formula:
•Rest. Avoid putting weight on the painful knee.
•Ice. Apply cold packs or ice wrapped in a towel for short periods of time, several times a day.
•Compression
•Elevation
Taping the kneecap or using a special brace for knee support during sports participation.
Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen if you need more pain relief.

Runner's knee usually gets better with early treatment and reconditioning.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
My feeling is that it is because of chikungunya which i had in my past. isn't it?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The pain in the leg could be related to chikungunya infection you had but it is less likely to show symptoms in only one leg and that too after 4 years of having the infection.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.