Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Having burning sensation and discomfort below sternum. Having pain after stretching on recliner. Burning from genital areas also. Solution?

May 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 6506 Questions
I have a burning sensation and discomfort just below my sternum and a little to the right. Had it now for a couple of months and it seemed to be after i was stretched out on my recliner. Now it is anywhere and with me most of the time. I can not feel a sore muscle the burning sensation comes from the general area
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cardiac and gastric causes to be considered first

Detailed Answer:
Hi Russf,
Thanks for writing in to us.

Pain and discomfort in the area as described by your refers to substernal pain. Few of the causes include acute gastritis, anemia, anxiety, and atrial fibrillation. It would be important to know if you are experiencing the pain at regular intervals and if it is accompanied by palpitations and anxiety. The relation of the pain with respect to food intake and periods of fasting must also be investigated.

At your age, a routine cardiac check up including ECG, echocardiography and certain blood tests related to heart disease is the first step in management. This needs to be followed by an ultrasound scan of abdomen and an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, to image the oesophagus, stomach and duodenum. Complete blood examination also might be necessary to evaluate hemoglobin levels and possibility of infections.

In the mean while you may decrease smoking, alcohol intake and taking spicy foods for sometime. Avoid fasting for longer periods and have short frequent meals.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor