Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Having bowel movement while urinating, abdominal pain. Had vaginal hysterectomy. Spinal pain.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
I'm a 58 yr. old female. Recently while having a bowel movement or while urinating, I've experienced pain in my lower left abdomen. Occasionally on the lower right, but not often. I feel like it's some sort of nerve pain because afterwards I sometimes experience pain in my pubic area. Not IN the vagina, but near it, I guess, XXXXXXX pain. I had a vaginal hysterectomy at age 40, but I still have my ovaries. I have also been having large bowel movements, so perhaps that may be part of it.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Follow-up: Having bowel movement while urinating, abdominal pain. Had vaginal hysterectomy. Spinal pain. 16 minutes later
I've also been having a lot of spinal pain lately, mid to upper spine mostly and pain under my left arm...not exactly in the armpit, but a bit lower. I doubt any of it is related, but you never know. Right now, about 45 mnutes after bowel movement my lower abdomen is still a bit tender..
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 13 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Your symptoms suggest something like an intestinal colitis. You may consider taking a course of anti- amoebic tablet like metronidazole or flagyl under your doctor's guidance and prescription.
Pain in the pubic area can be due to ostomalacia for which you may take calcium along with Vit D supplements. This is over the counter medicine.

Abdominal pain after vaginal hysterctomy can be due to pull on vault from below, so keep on doing perineal exercises.

Spinal pain also looks like backpain due to calcium deficiency as the site you are mentioning is above the site of spinal injection. It can be due to calcium deficiency or muscular or postural.
For backpain do hot fomentation and apply some analgesic ointment.

It will be better if you can visit a physiotherapist. You can get your BMD ( Bone Mineral Density) test done so as to reach a diagnosis.

Your diet should be XXXXXXX in soy, oats, Vit B12 and sources of calcium.

Do regular weight bearing exercises.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor