Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Have two damaged discs in lower back. Can I go for hip replacement?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
I just got a letter from my Doctor stating that he can no longer help me with my pain management. I have been seeing him for over ten years. I have two damaged discs in my lower back, and I have a hip that is going bad. I am only 46 years old, to young for a hip replacement, and I don't want to have my back fused yet.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 7 hours later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
From the description, it seems that you are more concerned with your back than the hip (if i have understood correctly). You have not mentioned clearly whether you have only back pain or leg pain also (radiating down from back up to toes).
OK. Let me educate you a little bit about your back. In a degenerated spine, along with the discs, the facet joints also get degenerated (hypertrophy) which is usually the cause for back pain. In addition, this can be effectively treated with "fusion". Generally, fusion of either single or two levels will not cause any restriction of spinal movements. If you are having leg pain also, it will be dealt by performing discectomy. Making a point about analgesics, it is detrimental for the kidneys (analgesic nephropathy) if taken over a prolonged period.
Coming to the second part of your question regarding your hip, there are newer generation of "bearings" (like ceramic on ceramic) which will last longer when compared to conventional "polyethylene" component. So go ahead and follow the advice of your consultant doctor.
Hope I have addressed your issues. Happy to help if you have any more queries. Good day
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor