Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Have trouble sleeping. Going through menopause. Want to try alternative medicine

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12685 Questions
i am 59 year old woman having gone through menapause but i am having trouble sleeping. i retire to bed between 10pm-11pm bfeeling tired and then bling wide awake i will be awake at times until 4am and then have to get up at 7,30. I do not like taking chemical tablets but will try alternative medicine, can you help
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your description, it seems that you have trouble in falling asleep.
First of all, we should try the non pharmacological methods first. You should consult a sleep specialist and dissuss the treatment option of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I). Sedatives are started only when the non pharmacological methods fail.
Melatonin supplements are natural supplements which will help in your problem.

Apart from the treatment mentioned above, try the following treatment options:

1) Keep a regular sleep and awakening schedule.

2) Do not drink caffeinated beverages later than the afternoon (tea, coffee, soft drinks etc.)

3) Do not go to bed hungry and you can have milk etc before going to bed.

4) Adjust the environment in the room (lights, temperature, noise, etc.)

5) Do not watch TV, read, eat, or worry in bed and avoid watching TV, reading books, and eating in your bed.

6) Self-hypnosis, biofeedback and relaxation breathing are often helpful. These can be discussed with a sleep specialist.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor