Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Have swollen gums and plaque problem. How to cure this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 127 Questions
My mouse smells bad frequently when in the office or if i don't eat or talk much time. I have also some kind of plaque problem due to which some of my gums are swollen. One of my teeth on right bottom side is also weakened. Please suggest me what to do? what care I need to take?
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Chaithanyaa Nemaly 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX .welcome to XXXXXXX ..

There are various factors associated with bad breadth...the most commonest being accumulation of deposits over the teeth surface resulting in bad smell....Inspite of brushing twice, a very thin, invisible, slimy layer called plaque gets accumulated over the tooth surface.

As the plaque gets more and more accumulated it hardens to form calculus. This results in gum inflammation causing swelling and reddening of gums ...This calculus accumulates between the tooth surface and the gum resulting in a space called pocket.

Food gets accumulated within this pocket and gets decomposed from the millions of bacteria already present in our mouth resulting in bad the pocket deepens the bone gets resorbed (destroyed) resulting in loosening of tooth... This is the reason why you are experiencing a weak tooth...

Please let me know when is it that you have got your teeth cleaned? we recommend teeth cleaning (scaling) for every 6 months....

Apart from the local factors I have mentioned the other reasons for bad breadth/smell could be as follows...

habits such as smoking, alcohol consumption, gastritis (excessive gastric acid secreted in the stomach will also result in bad smell), dry mouth ( habit of speaking more as in teachers and so on- consume more water), foods containing more of garlic (odoured foods) would all result in bad smell...

Clinical examination is required before I confirm the diagnosis...I would recommend you to consult your dental surgeon for further clinical evaluation and management...Good luck...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have swollen gums and plaque problem. How to cure this? 50 minutes later
Can you please suggest a good doctor in Bangalore. I want to consult immediately.
Answered by Dr. Chaithanyaa Nemaly 14 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX ..Good to hear from you again...There is nothing like good and bad doctors...Things turn out to be good with doctor's experience... You have various dental colleges in Bangalore with well-qualified doctors and there are many qualified, established practitioners as well.... It’s purely your choice of getting treated by a private practitioner or in a dental college...

I would advise you to seek a Periodontist (the one exclusively trained in treating gum diseases/infections) opinion...

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW
Any other query, please do not hesitate to write back to me...Good day...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor