Have swollen ankle. What could be causing this?

Posted on Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Ive got a swollen ankle but can walk on it it seems if im getting a club foot as im walking on the side of the foot
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Hello dear,
The symptoms as mentioned in your post suggests towards the recurrence of Gout.
Under such condition, estimation of serum uric acid levels will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.
Management involves:
1. Use of steroids to tackle the acute attack
2. Once the acute attack is controlled...long term prevention is achieved through lifestyle modifications & Uricosurics like Allopurinol.
So...it will be better to get your serum uric acid levels checked & if any significant finding is present, then consult a Rheumatologist for further management.
Wishing you a Good Health. Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Polash Sannigrahi