Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Have strained muscle at lower back from back injury, painful to walk. Can cortison injection help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4813 Questions
I have a strained muscle in my lower back from a back insury and strong pain in the morning very painful to walk, eventually it goes away , 2-3 houres ,,been going to the chiro for 3 month has not helpt much. Would a cortison injection help. Thank you XXXXXXX Kleinheinz
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cortison injections,consult rheumatologist,high BP Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Cortison injection can be given under strict medical attention based on the medical data of the patient. In such cases as yours, I usually recommend my patients to use some simple home remedies as following: - put warm clothing to the affected area. It would help relieving the muscular spasms. - can massage the affected area with olive oil or by using the OTC local pain killer creams. - try to do light exercises for as much as the pain allows. - I usually prescribe oral pain killers At the end, I strongly suggest to consult rheumatologist first before deciding for cortison injection as you are having slightly high blood pressure. Cortison injections could raise BP more. Hope it answered to your inquiry! If you have more questions, feel free to write them back at follow up. I'd be happy to assist you further! Dr.Sejdini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor