• question-icon

Have stomach pain during periods. Had dendroid Cyst and removed ovary. Had ultrasound. Finding and treatment?

Posted on Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I have avail Health floter plan of bajajallinaz.My wife XXXXXXX has intense pain in her stomach during periods.The pain are unbearable & lasts for 5-6 days.
Three month back she has dendroid sist in her right ovary & doctor removed that ovary.Now we have conducted Untrasound.The report is as under:

Left ovary is seen laterally & are elongated prominent multicystic measuring 38*35*24mm having a vol. of 17cc.
Multiple smaoll subcapsular cystic areas avg 4-5mm size are seen in it giving "chain of lakes" appearance.Few parenchymal cystic areas are seen alongwith.

A thick walled cystic lesion 18*17 mm is seen with low level XXXXXXX echoes in the left ovary medically with some oft tissue thickening? tubal.

Mild fatty fever.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multiple cysts in left ovary, needs treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,

Thanks for posting your query; I have read it with diligence. I am sorry about your wife's health concern.

I see that your wife has undergone a surgery for right ovary removal due to dermoid cyst.

Now, she has problems with the left ovary.

Here is what the report means:

The left ovary is enlarged, and contains multiple cystic swellings within it. The size of the ovary is mildly enlarged.

Also, there are small fluid filled areas just beneath the capsule of left ovary. In addition, one thick walled fluid filled lesion is seen around 18*17 mm.

All these findings on the ultrasound of your wife mean to say that she has multiple cysts in the left ovary or PolyCystic ovarian Disease (PCOD).

This has to be treated either medically or surgically. There are medications like hormonal preparations, anti-androgens, ovulation induction drugs that can be tried. Better approach for your wife would be a laser drilling of the cysts within the ovary.

Please discuss about these management plans with her treating Gynecologist.

Just one thing, do you already have a baby? Would be pleased to know.

Let me know if you have more queries.

Follow up: Dr. Shanthi.E 21 minutes later
We have 2 baby. One son age 8 years,another is daughter & she is 2 years.This problem of severe pain is from first periods after the birth of my daughter.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ovarian drilling, a better option here

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,

thanks for the details. I am glad you have 2 babies.

The problem that your wife is currently facing can be worst painful. Her pain can worsen further.

In my view, you could opt for ovarian drilling to remove the cysts or remove the left ovary too. The decision can be taken by her treating doctor along with your wife's and your consent.

In the meanwhile, please try the medicines for the same.

I wish her quick recovery.

Follow up: Dr. Shanthi.E 14 minutes later
Thank for your prompt response.

Pls tell us the pros & cons of "drilling to remove cysts" & "removal of ovary".

She is suffering with very worse pain.

Pls. suggest the medicine to control pain.

Also pl. advise where we can undergo driilling & how much time it will take.

We live in baddi & treatment in tricity chandigarh well suits to you.

Pls. Pls. advice/explain in details..........
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below

Detailed Answer:

The ‘pros’ is that if the drilling is done, your wife can get some relief from pain. In fact, she will feel much better with no pain at all.

The ‘cons’ is damage to surrounding healthy ovarian tissue. Sometimes, this can lead to total removal of the ovaries.

For pain like this, I advise my patients Tablet Cyclopam with plenty of oral fluids and complete bed rest. This is a prescription drug.

Ovarian drilling is done in tertiary care centers where expert hands are available to do the procedure. I am sorry; I have no personal reference for Chandigarh to give. However, PGIMER is a famous and research Institute. You could take your wife there.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Shanthi.E